Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Energy At Home Science Project

The energy at home science project was very interesting, and heped me create new understandings. I learnt that lightbulbs aren't just lightbulbs. There are LED's, Halogens, Incandescents and many more, and all have a different impact on the environment. Just the section on lightbulbs made me more aware on what changes my family should make, and I am now making suggestions on what would save them more money and use less power.

Checking all the star ratings of my appliances made me much more aware of my family's power use. My washing machine is only 1 star out of 6, making it extremely inefficient. My dishwasher is only 2.5 stars out of 6, so it uses a lot of power. My fridge is 3 stars out of 6, so it is kind of efficient, and kind of inefficient. These appliances should all be replaced, ideally with 4 or 5 star machines. Replacing them would reduce energy use, and the power cost.

I also learnt that little things can make a big difference. For instance, on a sunny summer day I could leave most of the lights off, because if I leave them on the air conditioner would have to work harder because of the extra heat radiated from the lights. Making sure all lights are off and all power switches are turned off before I leave home could also make a significant difference.

This project has made me SOO much more aware of my family's energy use. I am now trying to make a difference, in my family's energy use, my family's energy cost and the environmental impact. And it's all thanks to this Energy At Home Science Project!

No comments:

Post a Comment