Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Science at home reflection

During this assignment I have learnt a variety of things. I have learnt how much energy our household uses, which light bulbs are most energy efficient, which sources are renewable and non- renewable and how main appliances in our household waste so much energy.

I found that we should replace some appliances such as our fidge and washing maching, as the star rating was very low. I also established that we use much more energy during weekends, rather than weekdays. This showed in our meter readings, as during weekends the results wre much higher.

A way we could reduce our energy use is turning things off when not in use, not leaving things on standby, changing light bulbs and using natural rather than turning on lights and changing light bulbs.

I learnt more about light bulbs and found that in our household we use halogen and fluorescent light bulbs. I learnt that halogen light bulbs can get really hot and that fluorescent light bulbs are very efficient. But even though they are energy efficient they contain mercury, so we have to dispose of it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment